Saturday, September 12, 2009

Would you TapIt?


I recently read about a new social initiative called TapIt in New York City - its a water bottle refilling network that gives people free access to clean water on the go. By going on the TapIt website, or downloading the iphone application, New Yorkers can find a local TapIt cafe partner location to fill their re-usable water bottle.


TapIt is meant to provide an alternative to buying expensive environmentally-unfriendly bottled water and promoting sustainable and green public behaviour.

The TapIt site also has a blog, as well as a Facebook, Twitter and YouTube accounts where you can read about other environmental programs and how you can make a difference.

What I like about this program is that a problem was identified and they invented a solution that people could easily get involved in. This is much more effective than just telling people not to drink bottled water or just banning it outright as some other cities have done.

The program seems to be catching on and the idea is spreading across the USA and to other countries.

What do you think of TapIt? Is this something you would do if it was available near you? Do you think their campaign is effective?

4 comments:

  1. I like this TapIt idea, as you state it is nice that there is a solution to the problem offered. The fact that a variety of social media sites are being used in the campaign make it effective, this is due to the nature of the on the go public/audience TapIt is targeting. I know if I could easily look at my Iphone and see what is close to me it would be just as easy to refill my bottle and stop my buying a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, it looks like they are using a lot of social media to advertise and gain popularity. I think that this is a really good initiative and someone is very strategic in their business as they have discovered that environmental friendly' brands sell, so yes, I would buy their water as I am into contributing positively for my daugheter's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this will be the way of the future for small non-profit orgs to get their message out to the publics. TapIt is a very small business but they have managed to get thousands of people engaged in their program through social media and modern technology tools (like the iphone). I think it would be worth for other NGO's to look at this example and learn from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is indeed an excellent initiative in order to make things easier for the consumers. From now on the consumers are able to get clean water at anytime anywhere. But what if the consumers do not have any access to the internet or not using iphone, where can they find out about the location to refill their drink bottle?

    ReplyDelete