Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Have you seen this squirrel?

The "crasher squirrel" as he's known is one of the biggest news stories around the world this week. The squirrel, who hails from my home country Canada, became an internet sensation after he curiously jumped into a photo with a couple of tourists at the Banff resort in Calgary, Alberta.



After the photo was posted on National Geographic photoshopped images began circulating of the squirrel at famous world events or posing with celebrities. Check out the gallery on the Daily Telegraph.


The Banff Tourism Board took notice and created a Twitter and Facebook account for their unofficial mascot and have launched a campaign asking people to send in other photos of squirrels seen at Banff.

Smart marketing move for Banff to jump on the free publicity. Their strategy reminds me of the Chicken of the Sea campaign with Jessica Simpson, only the cost of using the squirrel is much less expensive!

So the question is, have you seen the squirrel? Why do you think this is newsworthy anyways?

3 comments:

  1. The Banff Tourism Board really are using social media to its full potential in this example. It's cool that they're attuned to what's happening out there and can laugh at themselves a little. Kudos to them for having the foresight and taking a chance - albeit only short-term publicity that they'll gain. I wonder if the squirrel will stick as a mascot?... I never thought of going to Banff - but now I just might!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banff has always been a popular tourist spot but thanks to this picture circulating around the world I'm sure that Banff has seen an increase in the number of bookings for the upcoming ski season. So I'd say its been a pretty successful campaign. And while I havent been to Banff myself, I would recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great campaign! It is just too funny. Banff is smart to capitalize on the squirril mascott through social media. Banff is beautiful and represents all the is Canadian nature, as does this squrill! The campaign reminds me of another online one Travelocity did which a garden gnomb being photographed in different locations by travelers.

    ReplyDelete